Spending time with your spouse is crucial to your marriage. Remember all those years ago when you couldn’t stand a minute apart from each other? Remember the feeling you got when you first started dating? You wanted to be together. You desired it. You came up with creative ways to be together and interesting things to do.
Somewhere along the road of life, it’s easy to forget how to do that. Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you really wanted to do something with your spouse and you couldn’t come up with something to do? Are you tired of the same old Friday night dinner routine at the same restaurant? Maybe it’s time to ramp up the old “dating brain” and create some crazy unique adventure.
Taryn & I regularly look for new and interesting things to do together that don’t cost a lot of money. We enjoy spending time together. We’ve found that the more time we spend together doing interesting and fun things, the more we want to be together. Isn’t this how a marriage should be? Isn’t this how your marriage should be?
Here are 10 low-cost / no-cost ways to create a moment with your spouse. Pick one to do this weekend. Tell him or her to get in the car because you’re going to go make a moment together.
- Get a blanket and some music. Go somewhere secluded and look up at the stars together. Don’t worry if it’s cool outside, bring some extra blankets. That could turn into an extra moment.
- Have a picnic lunch or dinner. Sure they’re cliche, but who doesn’t like a picnic? Find a special place and treat your spouse to some great food and some time together.
- Spend and extra hour in bed together. I’m not talking about sleeping. Wake up together and just lay in bed together. Talk. Laugh. Smile at each other.
- Go for a walk or a hike. Pick any place you like to be or pick a new spot. Hold hands while you walk and enjoy each other’s company.
- Take Friday afternoon off. If only one of you works outside the home, surprise him/her. If you both work outside the home, plan it together. Have lunch together and then just spend the rest of the afternoon together. Run errands together. Pick another one of these 10 and do it together. Just enjoy your time together.
- Stare into each others eyes. Yes. It sounds silly, and you’ll probably laugh at first. But try it. Look into your spouses eyes and focus on the person you love. Just look at each other quietly for 5 minutes. What happens from there, we’ll leave up to you.
- Go to a park and swing together. Is anyone too old to enjoy a swing? No way! Just because you’re an adult doesn’t mean you don’t have some of that kid in you. Go play together.
- Go to the top of the tallest building or hill in town. Enjoy the view.
- Do something out of your comfort zone that is in your spouse’s comfort zone. If he enjoys fishing, go fishing with him. If she loves to look for antiques, look for antiques with her. And do it cheerfully verses out of obligation. Understand that you’re making your spouse feel better by spending time doing something he/she likes.
- Take the back roads. This is one of our favorites. Get in the car and go for a drive. Get off the beaten path, way off the beaten path if you can. Put on some music you like. Enjoy the time together. Notice things you haven’t seen together and point them out to each other.
No matter what you do. Enjoy your time together with your spouse. You’re sharing your lives together. Create some moments to remember.
Question: What did we miss? Tell us your ideas in the comments section below.